[Noisebridge-announce] Rails class 4/5: Personal development on the job

Gabe Kopley gabe at railsschool.org
Wed Mar 30 18:59:53 UTC 2016

Hi, Noisebridge! We added a new class at  7pm Pacific on April  5, 2016

Personal development on the job

How do you invest in your own growth while working at a company?

Software development jobs can demand a lot from you, but also can offer opportunities to grow as a person and as a professional.

This will be an informal forum where we discuss our experiences, goals, and ideas around personal development in a technical job.

Some topics I'd like to touch on:

* Participating in and cultivating a learning culture
* Objectives and tactics for managers as well as individual contributors
* Different formats for doing 1-on-1's and for tracking personal goals
* ["20% time"](https://googleblog.blogspot.com/2006/05/googles-20-percent-time-in-action.html) and ["Investment time"](https://playbook.thoughtbot.com/#investment) kinds of policies
* The relationship of your company to the open source ecosystem
* Specific perks that can help you and your team level up
* Developing an engineering team values document / manifesto

RSVP here: http://www.railsschool.org/l/personal-development-on-the-job
May The Force Be With You!

Best regards,
Rails School, http://www.railsschool.org