[Noisebridge-announce] Rails class 10/4: Intro to Elixir (SF)

Brad brad at railsschool.org
Thu Sep 29 16:42:29 UTC 2016

Hi, Noisebridge! We added a new class at  7pm Pacific on October  4, 2016

Intro to Elixir (SF)

Learn a fun, mind-expanding language we can use to build fast, current, robust web apps.

Elixir is a functional programming language with a Ruby-like syntax that runs on the Erlang virtual machine. This is cool because:

* The Erlang VM is battle tested, has great concurrency support, and is fault-tolerant. We can use it to build incredibly fast, concurrent, robust web applications.

* Learning functional programming is mind-expanding and a great way to improve your skills.

* Elixir's Ruby-ish syntax and great tooling make it a compelling alternative to Ruby in some cases. It's also fun!

This will be an interactive class where we will learn the basics of Elixir and some basic functional programming concepts.

Instead of a codewars challenge, please look over functional programming. You can do it in Ruby or JavaScript (!), and the web has [lots](http://www.sitepoint.com/functional-programming-techniques-with-ruby-part-i/) of [tutorials](http://eloquentjavascript.net/1st_edition/chapter6.html). Here is a good [overview of the concepts](https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2014/07/dont-be-scared-of-functional-programming/).

Also, you need to have Elixir installed on your machine. [Installing Elixir](http://elixir-lang.org/install.html)

RSVP here: http://www.railsschool.org/l/learn-more-elixir
May The Force Be With You!

Best regards,