[Noisebridge-announce] Tonight @ 8PM @ Noisebridge -Talk - Hacking iPhones and Other Shenanigans in The Shenzhen Electronics Markets

Scotty Allen scotty at strangeparts.com
Fri Sep 15 16:19:30 UTC 2017

Hi,

Scotty from Strange Parts here.  I'm giving a talk about my adventures in
the electronics markets of Shenzhen, China tonight at Noisebridge at 8pm.
We're also going to attempt to live streaming it.

Here's a bit more info:

What happens when a geek dives into the electronics markets, factories and
supply chains of Shenzhen? I made my own iPhone from parts I bought in the
market and added a headphone jack to an iPhone 7, among other shenanigans.

I'll take you with me inside the markets - we'll visit some of my favorite
vendors, talk about how the markets and manufacturing ecosystem are
structured, and touch on some ways China functions completely different
from the west.

I'll show a bunch of video footage, some of which has never been shown to
an audience before. We'll keep things pretty informal, and I'll save lots
of time for Q&A at the end. I also have a bunch of cool goodies to show
off, including both phones I built.

Please rsvp if you'd like to come, just so we can have a rough sense of how
many people we should expect:

https://www.meetup.com/noisebridge/events/243375227/

We'll also try to live stream this on YouTube (we're all a bit new to
streaming, so be patient if it's a bit rocky). You can subscribe at
https://strangeparts.com/subscribe to get notified when the stream starts,
or like/follow the Noisebridge facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/noisebridge/

Looking forward to seeing you!

-Scotty