[Noisebridge-discuss] A potential space - the No Starch Press building (and how we can handle voting)

ryan ryan at linefeed.org
Sun Dec 23 02:57:52 UTC 2007

> Eventually, we're going to need a method to record what we want to do
> formally. This is not unlike voting but we're not pushing for a vote
> just yet. This is mostly people listing their desires and concerns.
>
> With that in mind, we need to have a real discussion. Would someone like
> to lead this? On the wiki? Or here on the list? Both perhaps?

For the record, I also really like the NSP space.

Regarding internet connectivity at the space, we might want to talk
with Monkeybrains since they are also very close to the NSP space and
at least used to run internet to customer locations like that. I've
been in pretty close contact with them over the past year, I'll ask
about that.

Regarding an internal process for making decisions, I recommend simple
majority voting as an interim process until we can articulate an
official process. So, the procedure is simple:
1) Someone makes a proposal and sets a reasonable timeframe for
voting,
2) Everybody votes via the mailing list,
3) Decision is either made or not made. People who don't vote in time
are considered to abstainers.

One question I have is if there is any current budget at all (that is,
has anyone kicked in some money to get this thing started)?

Does this sound alright to everyone? I wouldn't mind taking the lead
on making sure things progress on the list until the interim process
is over. I've got a lot of experience in doing that, having actively
participated in groups that organize on mailing lists for well over a
decade.

I agree that there is a lot of info needed about the NSP space before
we can make a decision on it.

Jake - are you the main noisebridge-side person who set up the offer
from NSP? Can you give the rest of us more background about how we got
this far with them, what you know about their plans and timeline for
the space, and so on? I think that would be a good place to start, and
then we can move on to getting answers to stuff like this:
https://www.noisebridge.net/index.php/QuestionsForTheSpace

Another question I'd like to float to the community of people we have
so far is: does anyone happen to know a lucky dot-commer who was in
the right place at the right time who would donate start-up capital?
Things would be a hell of a lot easier if we started with $10k or
something in a bank account.

Something else we'll eventually have to consider is what type of
entity we want to be. Probably, an 'association' is all we want to be.
But, it could be that for donation purposes or liability reasons, we
want to do something else. I've got a lot of experience in this, as
well, and it isn't something we need to decide right away but it is
something we need to start thinking about.

Alright! onward..
-ryan