[Noisebridge-discuss] Seattle (not the city)

Jacob Appelbaum jacob at appelbaum.net
Sat Dec 6 00:02:57 UTC 2008

Hi from Seattle,

I've recently donated some cpu/memory/network time on noisebridge.net to
a new free software project run by UW:

"Seattle is a platform for networking and distributed systems research.
It's free, community-driven, and offers a large deployment of computers
spread across the world. Seattle works by operating on resources donated
by users and institutions. It's currently targeted for use by educators
teaching networking and distributed systems classes. The global
distribution of the Seattle network provides the ability to use it in
application contexts that include cloud computing, peer-to-peer
networking, ubiquitous/mobile computing, and distributed systems.

"Seattle runs on end user systems on diverse platforms in a safe and
contained manner. Users install and run Seattle with little to no impact
on system security and performance. Sandboxes are established on user's
computer to limit the consumption of resources such as cpu, memory/disk
usage, and network bandwidth. Programs are only allowed to operate
inside of a sandbox, ensuring that other files and programs are the
computer are kept private and safe. This allows researchers and students
to safely run code without impacting performance or security.

Check out the website (it's where I cribbed the above text):
https://seattle.cs.washington.edu/

If you're interested in distributed computing, Python, perspective
networking, etc. I've setup our client on the share resources with their
community network. You might be interested to do the same.

Best,
Jake