[Noisebridge-discuss] printable stepper motors

Andy Isaacson adi at hexapodia.org
Sat Dec 6 20:27:54 UTC 2008

I don't really understand all the details, but I know there are people
at Noisebridge who are into this kind of thing:

http://www.3dreplicators.com/cgi-bin/cblog/index.php?/archives/491-Building-a-printable-stepper-for-a-next-generation-Tommelise.html

    Back in July I started a project to build a tin can linear stepper
    motor for my next generation Reprap machine ...

    The reluctance motor, commonly referred to as either a variable or
    switch reluctance (VR or SR), offers the simplest, lowest cost motor
    available to date. This motor consists of a shaped, highly permeable
    material for the rotor and two- or more-phase windings in the
    stator. The shape of the rotor concentrates magnetic flux lines into
    "poles" on the rotor which then interact with the rotating field
    being developed in the stator windings

It would be super cool if our RepRap used motors we'd built ourselves.
:)

-andy