[Noisebridge-discuss] Little red payphone digression into 911

Christie Dudley longobord at gmail.com
Sat Dec 13 05:08:49 UTC 2008

The number I have in mind is specifically staffed 24x7, has emergency
recording, and is what's recommended in the first aid/CPR classes put on by
the paramedics association.  (In the city of SF it's 415-553-0123)  The
drawbacks include having to dial a full number that's different in each
jurisdiction, your location information is not sent in, and there's not
priority infrastructure in place in the event of call congestion.

Because the major benefit of 911 service is that it sends in your location,
it makes a lot of sense that moving caused problems - if you had an
emergency in the new location from the old number, they'd go to your old
place without even asking you.

There are a few cheap providers who work around the tax and surcharge and
cumbersome interconnect business by offering phone numbers without 911
services.

Those who voted in SF this past election should have noticed a phone usage
tax on their ballot.  The city is restructuring the way it taxes.  I'm a
little miffed that folks didn't notice it was changing the way that was
working and putting the money from that into the general fund instead of
continuing to use it to exclusively fund 911 service but that's the way of
politics.

Christie