[Noisebridge-discuss] Re: network changes at 83c

Andy Isaacson adi at hexapodia.org
Mon Dec 8 00:19:14 UTC 2008

On Sat, Dec 06, 2008 at 04:06:51PM -0800, Andy Isaacson wrote:
> In the spirit of doit-ocracy...
>
> I've hooked the Speakeasy DSL directly to a WRT54G, which I believe
> somebody flashed with OpenWRT firmware.  It's not quite working yet, but
> expect to have a functional backup wifi network "soon".

JSharp did a bunch of work (thanks J!) and now we have two separate
networks.

The "noisebridge" wifi on channel 11 uses the Ruckus AP and is bridged
to the 83c wired network.  You can control the Jukebox and so on.  It
uplinks to the Internet through the Soekris and the Comcast cable
service.

The "noisebridge-dsl" wifi on channel 3 uses a bog-standard WRT54G with
Linksys firmware connected directly to the Speakeasy DSL modem.  This is
about as simple as it gets, so it should be fairly reliable.

Feedback appreciated as people use these.

I've also updated the password list.  (Ask a sysadmin-type person around
the space if you need the password list and don't know where it's kept.)

Finally, anybody interested in helping with ripping out all the old
twisted pair and installing all new circuits terminating in the upstairs
closet?  We have an offer of a donated spool of cable, and we have one
punchdown tool at 83c.  We still need

 - more punchdown tools
 - cable clips
 - termination boxes (or whatever you call the box that I plug my
   desktop into that has cat5 coming out one side and RJ45 on the other)
 - a cat5 patch panel (16 ports is enough, 24 would be awesome)
 - somebody with experience doing small installs to remind us of what
   we're forgetting

If anyone can help out with this, let me know.

-andy