[Noisebridge-discuss] CeRuLiF: Steganography for CR/LF data

Kristian Erik Hermansen kristian.hermansen at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 02:29:57 UTC 2008

I told myself I would write this tool when I had a free moment (idea
came this summer, in my hotel room @ Ubuntu Live in Portland).
CeRuLiF is a tool to hide data in plain text documents.  Sure, you can
hide data in BMP, WAV, and tons of other file types that have massive
"slack space".  However, I thought this would be a cool idea :-)  Not
sure if anyone already wrote a tool like this already.  Feel free to
clean up the code...  [btw, i/o can be done via std pipes or files]

$ python cerulif.py --help
Usage: cerulif.py [options]

 --version             show program's version number and exit
 -h, --help            show this help message and exit
 -i IFILE, --input-file=IFILE
                      input file
 -m MFILE, --message-file=MFILE
                      message file containing secret
 -o OFILE, --output-file=OFILE
                      output file
 -z, --zip-message     zlib the hidden message
 -H, --hide            embed a hidden message
 -U, --unhide          unembed a hidden message
 -p, --parachute       simple checks for non-cerulified input files
$ ls -s large-crlf-file.txt
1012 large-crlf-file.txt
$ echo 'setec astronomy' | python cerulif.py -i large-crlf-file.txt -H
-o /tmp/public-document.txt
$ ls -s /tmp/public-document.txt
1012 /tmp/public-document.txt
$ python cerulif.py -i /tmp/public-document.txt -U
setec astronomy

Files here...
http://www.kristian-hermansen.com/cerulif/
--
Kristian Erik Hermansen
"Know something about everything and everything about something."