[Noisebridge-discuss] Ringold, out of the mouth of Bill

Bill Pollock bill at nostarch.com
Thu Jan 17 02:40:43 UTC 2008

Hi Everyone,

There's been a lot of discussion on the list today. I guess I'm a bit
surprised and puzzled by the dialog.

First off, if people actually want a space to hack, at no charge, 40
Ringold is available. But, as everyone understands I think, the building
will be under construction on an unknown schedule. That means it's not a
place to leave your stuff (for now), but it is a place where you can
bring a laptop, plug in, and hack. I even ordered Astound Cable internet
today -- if they'll give me the residential rate. And I'll say it again:
it's free, for now -- until we need to rip things apart, if we do.

As for people finding another space, I say whatever works. Regardless, I
will be setting up a geek/hacker space at 40 Ringold. If I'm lucky, I'll
be able to extend the top floor so that I can include both a hacker
space, some sort of underground cafe, and maybe even co-working space--a
small mix of income generating space and sort of non-profit space. I'll
do this regardless of what happens because there are many people who
haven't been to a noisebridge meeting (and who may never go to one) who
would really enjoy such a space. This is a space for every geek and
every hacker, in every group, with some basic rules (not meant to be a
complete list):

* don't wreck the space
* don't get the space closed down
* don't get me arrested
* respect other people in the space
* don't hack the NSP network or the people around you

Last night I mentioned to the people assembled that I'm thinking of
turning the front part of the second floor into some sort of underground
cafe, if I get the permit to do so. Two or three years ago I considered
trying to create a kind of geek cafe; something like Coffeenet, even
though I never actually visited Coffeenet. As I mentioned last night, my
goal too would be to extend the top floor (add about 400sf if possible),
and build a real roof deck since the roof as it is is not safe as a
deck. That means fairly significant construction on the second floor.
Dust. Dirt. Noise. Not good stuff for electronics, but not a situation
that will last forever, of course.

The idea of a cafe, an inclusive cafe (read: anyone can go, as long as
they know it exists and can find it), is that it would be a public
space, offering a place to hang out for people who aren't connected to
the community, aren't sure how much they want to be a part of it, or who
don't feel comfortable in a dedicated hacker space for whatever reason.
At least as important is the fact that a cafe (with a bookstore/gift
shop sort of thing) will generate revenue that would go toward the
building's mortgage and potential supporting a hacker space. That means
less stress for me when people can't pay rent on the space, and allowing
me to really keep the cost of the hacker space low -- assuming that the
Hacker Cafe is generating income. Remember: I'm paying a mortgage on the
building. It's not free for me.

Regardless, as I mentioned yesterday, if people would actually like to
use part or maybe even most of the building for a meeting or hacker
event of some sort, that's a definite possibility. I'm open to giving
certain, select people, keys to the building, with the understanding
that they'll be responsible for keeping an eye on things, and opening
and closing the space. (Including cleanup.) So if people want a space to
actually get together, work together, present, share ideas, it's
available. It's not pretty, but I have portable heaters, two working
toilets, a sink, etc. And there's no charge. I just need to know what's
going on when.

In sum, I'll continue with my plans for Ringold and keep people
apprised. The space is available to you NOW as long as I have what I'll
call Angels (like the Engels at CCC Camp) who will watch over the space
and the people in it.

Bill