[Noisebridge-discuss] Priorities

Jacob Appelbaum jacob at appelbaum.net
Fri Jan 18 10:05:14 UTC 2008

ryan wrote:
> Is this group really going to let
> you continue disrupting everything with aggressive attack emails?

No. It's clear to me and to nearly everyone that's *called my telephone*
or queried me on irc. People are unhappy that this has become a unsafe
space for you and a highly dramatic list for them as well. I'm sorry
that this has happened to you and to everyone else. This is not ok.

I owe you an apology because I did encourage Marc to express his
concerns openly. I utterly failed to realize that this would start the
longest and most annoying thread this list has ever seen. Nor did I
realize that this would spiral into a nightmare where you or your
partner would leave the group. I feel you both have positive experience
and thoughtful input. I would be immensely saddened if you both left
because of these recent emails.

Furthermore, this entire experience has only managed to undermine,
interrupt and otherwise steer us onto the wrong track. This conflict
belongs elsewhere, probably somewhere in the past and it certainly
doesn't belong here. It's clear that it goes way beyond some simple
"concern" and directly into something that involves none of us. Probably
not even you. If you guys cannot get along, I'd ask that you try to be
civil on the list and in person. Not everyone can get along all the
time. In all fairness, I feel that you're being quite civil and you have
been wronged in a very egregious manner. This is in direct opposition to
something that has been at the core of our group from the start. We're
not all going to get along on every issue but we're going to treat each
other with respect anyway. Or those dishing out the disrespect can
leave. It's simple. We have a pretty basic social contract and it's not
welcome to attack each other. We're going to have issues and we're going
to work through them. We're not going to leave anyone out to dry because
of some possible personal issues in the past.

I do think that solving problems and expressing concerns is best done in
the open. I do however feel that it's not a positive thing when members
of the group feel unsafe or when they feel that it's ok to make others
feel unsafe.

At the core of this discussion is that someone had a concern about
sniffing networks and trust. It's clearly lodged as a concern to the
group. We're all aware that Marc has this concern. It's also fair that
we consider the source, what's to be gained and why someone would say
those things.

This is not a place to endlessly attack people. I'm not judging you
based on any action but your own and right now, you're on the defense.
I'm sorry about that and I hope that we can hack on something together
in the near future. Lets worry less about the past and measure based on
the merits of the present. Lets make something awesome in the future too.

It is not unreasonable to end this discussion. It seems to be the
general consensus. I think for all of us, it would be a wise investment
of our time to move on.

Best,
Jake