[Noisebridge-discuss] intel open house march 6

Marc Powell marc at foodhacking.com
Fri Jan 18 21:33:09 UTC 2008

is anyone into this kinda stuff?? intel research lab playing show
n tell-- and it's free. fwd'd...

Open House at the Intel Research Lab in Berkeley

Thursday March 6th, 2008 from 2:30 - 5:00pm

Come and meet some of Intel's top researchers when Intel's Berkeley
Research Lab holds its annual open house on March 6th from
2:30pm-5:00pm. The lab is located just off the UC Berkeley campus at
2150 Shattuck Avenue (right across from the Berkeley Bart station) in
the penthouse suite. The open house will include refreshments, demos of
key research projects, and lots of posters and opportunities to meet
students, faculty, and researchers.

Intel's Berkeley Lab is one of a small network of university labs
started in 2001 with a mission to perform collaborative off-roadmap
research with key academic institutions.  Most of the work in the lab is
governed by a contract called the open collaborative research agreement
to promote close cooperation between Intel and university staff. The lab
currently houses 14 full-time Intel researchers and many students.

Some of our past work included early activity in sensor networks, the
development of the Planet Lab distributed systems test bed, declarative
distributed systems, and technology for emerging regions. We will be
talking about our current research in a variety of areas including:

*	  modernization of communication APIs for internet services
*	  writing scalable and correct programs for parallel computers
*	  developing new approaches to simplify secure distributed
computing systems
*	  results of telemedicine deployments in Ghana
*	  mobile environmental sensing and citizen action
*	  electrically steerable antennas
*	  building high-speed routers out of commodity	parts
*	  presenting short films on sustainability
*	  creating efficient algorithms for everyday sensing and
learning

I look forward to welcoming you on March 6th.

Best regards,
Eric Brewer

Director, Intel Research Berkeley

Location: 2150 Shattuck Ave., Penthouse Suite, Berkeley, CA 94704
Contact: Amrita Lokre at 510-495-3056 or mailto:amrita.lokre at intel.com
Visit: Intel Research Web Site at http://berkeley.intel-research.net/