[Noisebridge-discuss] Insurance notes

Meredith L. Patterson mlp at thesmartpolitenerd.com
Thu Jan 24 20:46:10 UTC 2008

Jonas S Karlsson wrote:
> All good information, but is there any indication of costs?
>
> It'd be interesting to see some examples of typical insurance costs,
> for a space this big, with the least "add-ons".

I agree, that would be handy. David, did the agent give you any kind of
range?

> In any case, before having a space, I don't think insurance is going to
> be needed ;-) so for now, one thing at a time may be enough.

It's good to be doing this research now, though, because negotiating for
commercial space will almost definitely be contingent on being able to
provide insurance for it. It would suck to get into a situation where we
needed to get insurance in a hurry in order to close on a lease, and
ended up with a bad policy because we didn't have time to shop around.
So I'm glad David's taken the initiative on this.

> Personally, I'd naively think that just having insurance for the
> property would be
> enough. To make sure there is no claims from the landlord to individual
> members if something happens. I'm not sure if other insurances makes any
> sense.
> Legally, members have to be responsible for their own actions.

Well, sure, but legally, members can also claim damages if accidents
happen due to unsafe conditions, and insurance protects the organization
in this case. Also, on a less litigious note, insurance covers things
that aren't technically anyone's fault -- for instance, if a building
next door catches fire and the fire spreads to our space, if our space
is not insured then we have to pay for all the repairs, replacement of
equipment, &c. ourselves. This is why a landlord will expect us to have
insurance; the landlord will have insurance for the building, but
requiring tenants to have insurance is a way to encourage them to take
good care of their portion of it, and it protects the landlord if
something bad happens and damages his building.

> But then again, I'm just a naive european and have never gotten sued :-)

Laws in the States are weird. No worries. :)

--mlp