[Noisebridge-discuss] The Last HOPE

Mitch Altman maltman23 at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 25 17:58:01 UTC 2008

Hi Everyone,

I'm in Chicago, with my mom, who's still at peace with dying.  She insisted that I go to The Last HOPE and give my presentation and my workshop.  And I am so glad I did!  I had one of the better times of my life.  Hundreds of people came by the workshop, which was in the Hackerspace Village, and was in the Noisebridge area.  Andy and Rachel were there helping a lot, and thanks to them and a few others who helped out, the workshop was one of the highlights of The Last HOPE for hundreds of people.  Almost 200 people built things at our workshop -- mostly Brain Machines and TV-B-Gones, but also some Mignonette Games and Trippy RGB Lights.  I wish you all could have been at The Last HOPE -- it was amazingly high!  And not just because of the pallets of Club Matte -- there was art everywhere, and lock-picking, and Segway scooters, and music and movies and cool, warm, friendly, thoughtful people talking about everything important and silly you can imagine.  I'm still buzzing from it.  I met several people from the Bay Area who didn't know about us, but who hopefully are now either active or lurking on this list.  I hope they'll feel free to join us at a meeting next time they're free.  Another exciting part of The Last HOPE was the strong desire for people from hacker spaces around the world to collaborate.  I don't know what will grow from this collaboration, but whenever a whole bunch of creative, intelligent people get together, great things happen.  I can't wait to see some of it.

As most of you know, I'll be in Providence as artist in residence for the month of August at AS220.  I'll see you all in September when I'm back in town.  Wouldn't it be cool if it were in our own space?

In my next email I am going to write about the bylaws scene.

Mitch.