[Noisebridge-discuss] Teaching programming for artists and designers

Scott Murray shm at alignedleft.com
Thu Jul 31 21:14:30 UTC 2008

Hi, everyone,

My name is Scott Murray, and I'm new to the NoiseBridge list.  I
recent met both Mitch and Rachel at the HOPE conference in NYC, both
of whom encouraged me to get involved.

I'm currently a grad student in the dynamic media MFA program at the
Massachusetts College of Art and Design in Boston, but I will moving
back home to San Francisco in a few weeks.  Lately, I've been doing a
lot of work in Processing, the free, open-source programming
environment for artists and designers, and I'm interested in sharing
my excitement for this tool with others.

So I'd like to put a question to the group:  If I were to offer an
introductory Processing class or workshop sometime this Fall, would
NoiseBridge be interested in helping me organize it?  I envision this
as a very low cost class.  Essentially, I would need only a space with
tables, chairs, and a projector (ideally).  Participants could bring
their own laptops, and I would probably recommend a book or two.

I don't intend to make any money with this.  My goals would be (A) to
get some experience teaching basic programming, and (B) to help people
make cool stuff and express their ideas using code.

If you're new to Processing, I'll just say that it can be used to
create beautiful digital art (both interactive/dynamic and not/
static), visualize data, interface with microcontrollers, and express
itself using visuals and audio.  See processing.org for more about
it.  Also, you can see some of my recent projects here:

	http://alignedleft.com/blog/category/projects/

I'd love to hear what you all think.  Thanks in advance.

	Best wishes,
	Scott Murray