[Noisebridge-discuss] Chemistry lab

Kristian Erik Hermansen kristian.hermansen at gmail.com
Sat Mar 1 00:48:37 UTC 2008

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 4:02 PM, Davidfine <d at vidfine.com> wrote:
> I'd like to spend a day with nerds doing titrations and reductions and
>  stuff. Like the brain machines, it should be a project where you end up
>  with something cool without needing to have mad skills to begin with. I
>  have just a semester of chem under my belt, is there someone on this
>  list who actually knows chemistry and would like to help plan a workshop?
>
>  I'm proposing ferofluid
>  http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7932498063864415301
>  It's really cool prohibitively costly to buy pre-made. It doesn't
>  require crazy equipment and there is a nontoxic way to make it.
>
>  Help?

Yes, this is indeed a very cool property.  I saw it back in 2004 when
our University LUG President, Matthew Ford, showed me a video of the
phenomenon.  Matt has since graduated with a PhD in Chemical
Engineering and been working in the private sector.  Perhaps he can
share some of his expertise for breathing life into this project
without breaking the bank :-)
--
Kristian Erik Hermansen