[Noisebridge-discuss] Bylaws!

Jonas S Karlsson jsk at yesco.org
Thu Mar 20 23:29:36 UTC 2008

Hi all,

First thanks for the work of investigating things. Also thanks for the
people who're
putting themselves forward to consistitute this and volunteering as Board of
Directors.

Reading the Bylaws however makes me confused.

I'm confused by the language and the settings. It isn't clear to me what is
required to
register the 501c3 compared to what is written there.

For example, there are a "no members clause", saying explicitly that we
shall have no
members. It is not clear to me what this means, it seems counter to the
purpose of the
whole organization. Is it that "members" have some legal significance we
want to avoid?

Also, I'm uncomfortable encoding that the Board of Directors are the onces
deciding about
everything, as also in electing successors.

I understand in practice that this is maybe legally "required" but somehow
it doesn't
seem to match the in way we intend to run it.

Could someone give some background information for understanding this?

thanks,
    jonas

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 11:51 PM, Rachel McConnell <rachel at xtreme.com>
wrote:

> up on the wiki: https://www.noisebridge.net/index.php/Bylaws
>
> What's there is basically what Mitch's lawyer, Carol Gee, sent us with a
> few fairly small modifications.  There are a couple blank spots we need
> to fill in, and a couple bits that need to be phrased better (which I've
> italicized).  Take a look.
>
> Also there are meeting notes from tonight at
> https://www.noisebridge.net/index.php/Meeting_Notes_2008_03_18
>
> Rachel

.sigh