[Noisebridge-discuss] Bylaws!

Paul Böhm paul at boehm.org
Fri Mar 21 01:56:16 UTC 2008

One more thing:

I'd rather have everyone join as a member and elect a much smaller
board of directors. Voting for someone as a director is also voting
for a particular vision. Visions can change, that's why it's good to
have a broad member base who can vote for new directors at least once
a year, or on special occasions.

More than 3 Directors really is bad - you can't get a straight vision
that way. To stay in software engineering terms - that's like design
by committee. Just because you can't decide who should run the place,
doesn't mean a committee would be better. The job of the board is to
moderate - you just can't have a huge board moderate. If all the major
stakeholders (and it's bad enough to already define those as fixed)
are already in the board, all you can do is vote - since noone can
take the role of moderating the process anymore. If you have a small
board that is easy to kick, they can't do politics - they really need
the support of the members - thus they'll moderate, not make policy.

Have everyone involved in the project become a member, let them pay
some nominal fee (20 Euro here), and then vote for a
moderator/director plus one or two additional directors for finances,
and let those make decisions together.

Also if any of you speak german, here are our bylaws:
http://metalab.at/wiki/images/3/36/Metalab_statuten.pdf
(or as tex: http://metalab.at/wiki/Bild:Metalab_statuten.tex)

and a terribly translated version here:
http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2F77.244.247.3%2Fmetastat%2F&langpair=de%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF8
(sorry)

Quite a lot of thought went into these, and your legal requirements
don't seem to be all that different (and the legal parts have been the
least important actually)

Paul