[Noisebridge-discuss] meet tomorrow?

Noah Balmer noahbalmer at gmail.com
Tue May 27 20:32:45 UTC 2008

Jonas, I think that your vision of member-driven culture is achievable, in
terms of how things work on a day-to-day basis.  We can and should allow
participants to be as active as they want to be and to have their say in the
decision making process. However, in order to have a bank account,
non-profit status, and all those other operational goodies, someone needs to
take on the legal responsibility, and we can't expect people to take on that
responsibility if they aren't in control of the things they're responsible
for,  thus we need a board that ultimately has all the power.

Julia is leaving town in a few days, but when she gets back she's offered to
do the "how to be a good director" training for us.  I hope everyone with
interest can attend that.  We should try to get at least eight or ten people
there to make it worth her while.  Even people with no interest in being a
director can benefit from understanding what the job entails. She offered
the special session for us so that we'd have a chance to ask questions
related to our specific scenario, rather than competing for attention in the
open class, which normally caters to people who want to volunteer on some
board but don't know which one yet.

I think, if we get the articles and bylaws close to what we want we can move
forward.  If after Julia's class or at any other point we need to amend
them, we can do that, but let's at least try to start off with the best
documents we can muster.