[Noisebridge-discuss] Noisebridge structure

Noah Balmer noahbalmer at gmail.com
Sat May 31 06:08:09 UTC 2008

Just to clarify something, option 2 doesn't necessarily have the
power/liability problem as long as the board has final decision making
power, so either is OK in that regard.  The responsibility thing came up
because some people were proposing that the board be entirely powerless,
which really isn't feasable.

The difference between the proposals is mostly about the hassle of having
more government regulation of how we operate and a bit more paperwork and
stuff, and more of a responsibility for members to partake in internal
politics if we go with 2, vs. the fear that the board will become evil and
can't easily be removed if we go with 1.

I'm personally not too worried about the board becoming evil.  They're
legally required to act in good faith, and I'd rather let them handle the
legal and money stuff and just do my thing, so I dig option 1.  Most small
nonprofits do it this way because they find option 2 cumbersome, but then,
we aren't exactly like every other nonprofit.  Anyone who thinks we're
likely to end up with an abusive board and doesn't mind dealing with a bit
more red tape in return for the legal right to vote out board members
directly might probably wants 2.  Both options have merits and drawbacks.