[Noisebridge-discuss] last week's meeting notes

David Molnar dmolnar at eecs.berkeley.edu
Tue Nov 4 19:32:34 UTC 2008

Better late than never. Please say if you see anything wrong. Hope to
see you all tonight.

Meeting Notes 28 10 2008

1) Halloween
	* We are having an Open House on Halloween
	* Show off projects - ask us now about how to show your project
	* Snacks + drinks provided
	* Friday 7pm-11pm
	* Costume contest, make your own theme. Judges are the Peoples Party
Planning Committee
	* Shopping trip Thursday afternoon
	* No secure locked facility - take your stuff home!

2) Napping Pods
	* Explained the idea
	* Hammocks instead? (again)
	* Consensus: keep talking and working out details

3) Shopping Suggestions
	* New chairs, courtesy Seth
	* Still want folding chairs
	* Shop Vac - please bring one
	* In the meantime, broom and dustbin in bathroom - please keep shop clean!

4) Theft insurance
	* Central station alarm requires police inspection
	* Alarm means if pulled police will enter the space
	* What about false alarms?
	* General update on insurance status for general liability and D&O: we
have qotes, waiting for one more, one conditioned on us getting in the
501c3 application
	* Consensus: David M. will make a decision on insurance once we have
quotes, there was one reservation asking for thee quotes but did not block.

5) Twitter
	* We have a twitter account
	* Should noisebridge twitter follow everyone?
	* Run like Planet - have it opt-in
	* If you want to be followed, ask Steen

6) Treasurer Announcements
	* CCC model, hacker space patterns
	* Treasurer must be hardass - Mitch isn't but he can act
	* Dues are important!
	* Burn rate includes rent, insurance, utilities
	* October so far 23 people paid dues
	* There are > 23 keys
	* Tell Mitch exactly what you want - if you want some donations to go
towards dues say so explicitly
	* Two membership rates: $80, $40 "starving hacker"
	* Up to you, no questions asked
	* Just Jewish Mom Guilt if you're cheap.
	* "Can we pay with guilt?"
	* Paypal noisebridge23 at gmail.com
	* Paypal costs 3.2% + 29cents
	* Rates figured on 55 people paying
	* Google checkout?
	* Dues are not tax deductible even after we are 501c3

7) Discover Article?
	* Annalee approached by Discover
	* They are interested in science/tech outside traditional labs,
universities
	* Noisebridge is science/tech outside traditional bounds
	* Article not yet for certain, long period of dancing around
	* Good chance, however, that would happen
	* What does this mean? Interview people
	* Photographer to take pictures
	* If uncomfortable, understand completely
	* Not intended to be an "expose" piece!
	* Timeframe: April-May or a little later, changes can go in up to
around 6 months in advance
	* Andy: press is scary, lots of people involved
	* Enki: Pres is good, helped metalab
	* Annalee has experience with doing a piece on a commune, living there,
respecting wishes, interviewing under peoples' chosen names
	* If looks like Discover wants something contrary to Noisebridge
interests, Annalee prepared to pull Noisebridge from article
	* Jake: we all speak for Noisebridge as much as anyone else
	* "Be excellent to each other"
	* Annalee trusted, worked with people in past
	* David M: happy Annalee interviewee
	* Can have CCC style T-shirt "do not give consent to photograph"
	* Can have preannouncement
	* Issue: people who have problems will not raise them in public meeting?
	* Not taking decision today
	* Steen: we have to deal with media, trust Annalee
	* Consensus: think about it, bring it up next week

8) Signs
	* NYC Resistor made signs for us!
	* Should we put on the door?
	* Put it so no one can destroy it
	* Consensus: put signs up

9) Balance
	* We have a new precision balance from ACE Junkyard
	* Donations to ACE
	* ACE cool place, has power tool drag races

10) Membership Process
	* Propose now, come prepared to decide next week
	* Form on wiki
	* To join, fill out top 3rd, put in applicant binder
	* Standing agenda item "Read applicant binder", "Joe, Mary applying"
	* Find two people to sponsor
	* If have problem, try to resolve problem
	* If can't, raise objection at meeting.
	* Name, contact - law says we need it
	* Why: we have to contact you about meetings and votes
	* We don't require ID
	* Suggested amendment: have person say everything is true
	* Have a nicer logo on the form?
	* Waiver of liability as part of the form?
		* Non-members here too - separate waivers needed
		* Drill press as example of possibly dangerous thing
		* NIMBY have waivers?
	* Approve or disapprove process at next meeting
	* Waivers will be agreed separately - safety committee will discuss -
it's important

11) Host Dorkbot in mid-November?
	* Dorkbot: strange things with Electricity!
	* Hosted by Marcella
	* See dorkbot.org
	* Donations at door go to Noisebridge
	* Talks TBD, noisebridge projects could be involved
	* Time out to discuss orbswarm.com, working on six autonomous spherical
orb robots that do cool things
	* Dorkbot potential dates: 12th or 19th ?
	* Are we big enough? Yes, dorkbot is limited size but offers webcasts
	* Consensus: talk about it, bring it up again next week