[Noisebridge-discuss] workshop proposal - AVR microcontrollers

Andy Isaacson adi at hexapodia.org
Sun Nov 2 22:00:38 UTC 2008

On Sun, Nov 02, 2008 at 11:58:09AM -0800, Jeff Keyzer wrote:
> Mitch and I recently discussed the possibility of doing a series of
> workshops on programming AVR microcontrollers and building cool
> stuff.  Many of Mitch's projects are based on the AVR, including the
> open source version of the TV-B-Gone, the Brain Machine, and Trippy
> RGB Lights.
>
> The Arduino is based on the ATmega AVR as well.
>
> The first workshop would be an intro to the AVR for beginners,
> followed by a solder-session/build night for the Adafruit USBTinyISP
> programmer.  Subsequent workshops would teach embedded C and more
> advanced techniques plus some fun projects.
>
> Would there be any interest in such a thing?

Oh yes, I'm interested.

I have a few suggestions for curricula, at varying levels of difficulty:

1. build a circuit and program a AVR to control an RGB LED.  (Bonus if
   it can receive commands interactively from a PC.)
2. implement a communication protocol (UART or I2C or SPI or 1-Wire) and
   make two AVRs coordinate to do something interesting.
3. control multiple LEDs (3x3 matrix?) from a single AVR (again, bonus
   points if it can receive interactive directions.)

-andy