[Noisebridge-discuss] OT: streaming music suggestions?

Chris Palmer chris at noncombatant.org
Thu Nov 20 00:10:22 UTC 2008

I often enjoy counterpoint when working. It has the good quality that you
can listen to it "vaguely", and get an impressionistic feeling of harmony,
so that you are not distracted from your actual work. But then when you sit
back for a second to take a break from work, you can dive in to the
complexity of the music and pick out the individual voices. It gets your
brain moving!

Two good random examples are Bach's *Goldberg Variations* (performed by
anybody) and Shostakovich's *24 Preludes and Fugues* performed by Tatiana
Nikolaeva. *Discipline* is my favorite King Crimson album, and I've had
great worktime results with recent Meshuggah albums like *Obzen*, *Nothing*,
and *Catch Thirty-three*.

Since most people hate my music, I got some great headphones: Sennheiser HD
280 Pro. They block out most outside sound, and let no/very little sound
out, so they're perfect for free jazz and tech metal that your co-workers
hate. :) And they sound pretty good.