[Noisebridge-discuss] chemistry 101

Meredith L. Patterson mlp at thesmartpolitenerd.com
Wed Oct 1 22:53:36 UTC 2008

Hi all,

Per Jake's and Rachel's request, I've put up a page at
https://www.noisebridge.net/index.php/Chemistry listing the equipment
and reagents I have.

I've also listed off some workshops we could do which will be a great
start for teaching people how to use equipment safely and perform basic
lab techniques which will be useful for just about every workup you'll
ever do. If there's something you'd like to learn how to do, please add
it to the list. (Legal stuff only, please -- no explosives or anything
that would get us in trouble.)

Of the possible workshops I've listed, I think distillation and steam
extraction would be the easiest to start with. We could do these in an
afternoon. I'd like to start by distilling alcohol (from cheap vodka or
everclear) to 95% ethanol and then drying it to produce anhydrous
ethanol. We can then do steam extraction on various kitchen herbs to
produce hydrosols and essential oils, and everyone could take some home
with them. I've done this at home before, and it's a lot of fun and
smells really good.

One question: what kind of heat sources do we have available? I usually
do this kind of thing over the electric burner on my stove. I don't have
a hot plate, so if we don't have an electric stove available, someone
will need to bring one. Distillation with volatile solvents produces
fumes, and an open flame *will* blow up the lab.

--mlp