[Noisebridge-discuss] Simple request for folks to Craigslist/Freecycle before dumping stuff onto the steret

Rubin Abdi rubin at starset.net
Wed Oct 15 19:13:33 UTC 2008

These are suggestions, recommendations, opinions and ideas for the
group to think about and not the law of the land.

At last nights meeting there was a lot of talk about how if we have
something that we don't want anymore, it's pretty simple to put it out
on the street, someone will eventually take it.

Running a quick ad on the free listings in Craigs or making a post to
Freecycle helps to build up a reuse community. Also helps to not fund
those in the area who's much rather use the money gained from selling
such found items for drugs (which could be gathered from much of the
stolen goods sidewalk sales that happen on 16th st late at night).

I recommend/suggest that if someone wants to get rid of something from
the space, first put an ad up on Craigslist, wait a day or two, and if
you get no responses then dump it onto 16th st.

I should also point out that putting things that look expensive (even
though that desktop machine is toasted, it still looks like a $1000
machine in the eyes of someone who needs money) out in front of our
door might be a poor idea considering the fact that we want to keep
the space as low a profile to thieves as possible. Walking stuff 20
feet towards 16th st might be a better option.

--
Rubin Abdi
Rubin at Starset.net