[Noisebridge-discuss] Re: Draft Finance Policy

Mitch Altman maltman23 at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 1 00:54:40 UTC 2008

> Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 17:40:01 -0700> From: shannon.clark at gmail.com> To: noisebridge-discuss at lists.noisebridge.net> Subject: Re: [Noisebridge-discuss] Re: Draft Finance Policy
> been following the discussions with interest, I'll try to stop by tonight though i have to go to another event earlier this
> evening (may be able to drop off some spare cleaning supplies on my way - anything in particular that would be useful?)

Yes, Please do bring cleaning supplies!

> For Noisebridge I might suggest that some form of storage space be obtained (old lockers etc) and people who pay for it
> get to use those spaces to store unfinished projects. Nothing too fancy - but this would also have the valuable side
> benefit of helping to keep the space neat and help clearly identify what people are working on vs stuff available to be
> used in future hacks.

We've been talking about getting bread-racks, with large plastic bins that people can put their names on.  This way you have all their stuff in one place, and can grab it all in one swipe when they come in and want to start hacking on their stuff.  And we can put it all away before we leave.

> As someone who likely will drop in from time to time until I figure out what I want to hack on, I wouldn't have any problem
> with people who are there more often having space to store stuff, and as a drop in having to either bring my stuff with me
> - or use a bit smaller space.

I hope that from coming by that you will become inspired to hack on cool stuff -- either stuff of your own, or stuff other people can use help with.

> I wouldn't expect that these are "secure" - except via the security of a common community expectation.> Which is my second point.> Generally speaking people adhere to the expectations set out in front of them.> i.e. if everything is charged for, "protected" etc then people will react to it in part as a challenge, as a way to game the
> system, to get as much for as little as possible etc.> but if instead people are expected to contribute what they can - to chip in as they can, to leave money for the soda (or
> food or parts), to clean up, to keep the space organized, to bring in more stuff to be hacked upon than they used up etc
> - people generally will. Without being "forced" to - but rather by having decided to join the community expecting
> themselves to do so.> This is how great barcamp/open space type events function and work well - and how many self-organizing activities end
> up happening. The role of who ever nominally "organizes" (well starts the ball rolling) is really to set up the expectations of
> people such that they then build upon that and do what needs to be done.

Yay!  This is exactly my expectaion.

> A simple suggestion - I would suggest that costs & financial goals be made visible along with progress towards them.> i.e. have some simple display that might show "rent needed this month" or as per Meredith's suggestion (hi Meredith!)
> "cost to replace if broken" - i.e. keep costs, where they exist, visible and then make it easy for someone to contribute if
> they so choose (and from a matter of pure safety assign someone responsible to make deposits on a frequent basis of any
> cash that comes in vs paypal etc)> When non-profit status is completed one bit of tricky but important accounting to decide upon is what "value" people get
> for contributions - i.e. a magazine subscription run by a non-profit has some (low) value assigned it, the excess amount
> being the donation, a ticket to a dinner fundraiser etc. Just being a non-profit doesn't mean that some things can't
> generate profits - and I'd suggest some thinking about whether there are simple things that might be done to generate
> revenues to help offset memberships.
Maybe this is a good way for members to feel good about leaving valuable items at Noisebridge -- sell them to Noisebridge.  We do have to be careful when doing this, however, since the IRS is always on the lookout for ways that individuals can abuse the tax deductions they get, or financial benefit they gain from a tax-exempt organization they belong to.

Mitch.