[Noisebridge-discuss] Re: Draft Finance Policy

Jacob Appelbaum jacob at appelbaum.net
Wed Oct 1 17:08:44 UTC 2008

jim wrote:
>    it looks like you've erased everything
> i'd originally written. how can the group
> discuss differences or ideas that are no
> longer included?
>    by "talk page" i assume you mean the
> discussion page, yes?

It's been rewritten to be what has been discussed and largely agreed
upon to death in (endless) meetings. This includes last evening.

In any case, it's not erased, it's easy to look at the history between
versions of the page:
https://www.noisebridge.net/index.php?title=FinancialPolicy&action=history

Again, please login to the wiki so that people can follow along between
the various mediums of communication. If you want to use a nym, by all
means please do so! But please make it linkable between mediums for the
same subjects or it tends to get a bit unwieldy... I assume you're
71.198.110.186 here, I could be wrong.

The talk page is here:
https://www.noisebridge.net/index.php?title=Talk:FinancialPolicy&action=edit

We should probably refrain from creating what looks like an official
policy that seriously differs from our actual agreed upon thoughts on a
given subject. It probably makes the most sense to make wiki discussions
and posts on the mailing lists about some of these issues before merging
them into a document on how we plan to spend/save/acquire money.

Furthermore, while I'm totally happy with you making suggestions, a
number of us (myself included) were hoping to meet you last evening. I
understand that you've been to just a single meeting (possibly two?). It
feels a bit premature for you to be creating an official financial
document. Suggestions are of courses welcome but it seems reasonable to
get a good feel for the group before discussing things (such as
multi-tier membership, cards, etc) that have already been decided. It's
not unlike someone that joins and suggests we change our name. Some of
these ideas and issues have been a part of our core philosophy from the
get go.

It's not really possible to get a feel for the membership from the list,
wiki or irc alone. It really takes all of that and attending physical
meetings. And even then it takes _time_ to know people. Names, faces and
so on. Most of us are friends through Noisebridge and we've been
building a community for some time and you're of course welcome to join
it! Please come to the meetings!

Best,
Jake