[Noisebridge-discuss] Re: Draft Finance Policy

Meredith L. Patterson mlp at thesmartpolitenerd.com
Wed Oct 1 18:34:12 UTC 2008

Jacob Appelbaum wrote:
> Meredith L. Patterson wrote:
>> I dunno, could we perhaps set aside $250 or so in an "emergency glass
>> breakage fund" to cover accidents, with people paying back into the fund
>> if they can't immediately replace a broken item? I also like Shannon's
>> idea of putting up a "cost to replace if broken" list, perhaps on the
>> glassware cabinet -- this can serve as an inventory as well.
>

> That's a great idea! Can you make a page about our forthcoming chem/bio
> lab? Specifically outlining the stuff including some costs?

I've put up a list of what I have at
https://www.noisebridge.net/index.php/Chemistry. This is just the
chemistry stuff, not the bio stuff, as most of my bio equipment is
homebrew and I'm not finished building it yet. (I will put up
information about that -- maybe some of you smart people can help me
finish putting it together?)

I'll add pictures and prices later today. I'm going to be lazy and list
the catalogue prices, which are always ridiculously inflated, but will
point out that most items can be had on ebay for much less than
Sigma-Aldrich wants for them. It's hard to come up with reasonable ebay
prices, because they fluctuate so much -- but note that currently there
is a *lot* of glassware available right now for super cheap.

Also, a friend of mine pinged me yesterday to let me know that a lab in
the building where he works is going under and they have a lot of stuff
for free. I'm borrowing a car on Friday and will be going on a
scavenging mission. Will anyone be in the space on Friday afternoon? If
so, I can drop stuff off then.

--mlp