[Noisebridge-discuss] a bit csonfused - no keys

Jacob Appelbaum jacob at appelbaum.net
Wed Oct 1 19:35:15 UTC 2008

Rachel McConnell wrote:
> We have erred.  At the meeting last night there was discussion about
> giving anyone a key who wanted it, but this morning after consideration,
> I am not comfortable with that.
>
> Let me be very clear, here: I am speaking now not as a board member of
> Noisebridge, but as an individual who has signed the lease and has full
> personal responsibility for the space.  We are not, yet, quite, a real
> organization so I am, personally, responsible.
>
> Please do not give anyone any keys who has not signed the lease, until
> we are a legal organization that can take responsibility.
>
> Feel free to bitch at me about this but please don't give out keys yet.

Consider this me bitching. :-)

We made a consensus last night. If we want to change that, we're going
to need to do that together, I think (and so we have all agreed). There
are a number of people in the mission who should have keys (paying
members that are well known to us). Those members that come to mind are
Seth Schoen, Shannon and Grey at the very least. All have offered to
bring supplies, to work and have kicked in significant contributions.

Regardless of how comfortable any of us are with the subject in
general... I do not think it is fair for one or two people to block the
entire group on a whim without discussion after we had HOURS of
discussions last night.

I'm speaking as an individual who signed the lease and has full personal
responsibility. I'm also speaking as a (board/normal/whatever)
Noisebridge member who felt that we reached consensus last night.

I think we can come to a middle ground by doing a few things:
    1) Discuss on the board list the people who we feel comfortable
giving keys
    1a) People who have contributed a significant amount (of money and
effort) and who we know well
    2) We should discuss the kinds of activities we should avoid until
we're insured and a full legal org.
    2a) Please no fire art or complex chemistry until we're insured!

Does this seem reasonable to everyone?

I personally do not want to have a willynilly flip flopping board of
directors dictatorship. We explicitly wanted to avoid anything like that
from happening. I won't be ordering anyone around and I do not find it
acceptable for other people to take that kind of action.

Unless there's an immediate physical danger, I do not feel like anyone
should be bossing anyone around, especially after we have reached
consensus on an issue. If it is felt that we haven't reached consensus,
I think it's totally reasonable to block and wait on an issue. This is
sticky if Noah feels that he wasn't heard. It's especially difficult
when someone backs out later. Neither are impossible but are certainly
damaging to the credibility of our leadership being reasonable and
consistent.

With that said, I am happy to commit to discussing key issues in the
open. I'm totally willing to accept a block on this as long as we can
open a discussion about it. Specifically with the understanding that I'm
not going to go make copies for _anyone_ without discussion and
agreement from a majority of the lease holders.

Best,
Jake