[Noisebridge-discuss] darkroom at the noisebridge space

Audrey Penven audrey at lostinthenoise.net
Fri Oct 3 19:25:41 UTC 2008

On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 4:43 AM, Shannon Clark <shannon.clark at gmail.com> wrote:
> I also haven't used a darkroom is quite a while.
>
> A few thoughts:
>
> 1. How hard would it be to figure out a way to print from digital photos? (I
> suspect the answer here is "fairly" - but it might be a really nifty project
> to figure out how to do something) all of my photography in recent years has
> been digital.

I'm not really sure how this would be done, but it sounds like an
interesting project.  NewLab can output digital files to film, but I'm
not sure what their process is - it could be printing to a transparent
material or projecting the image onto a piece of film.  My thought is
that we could play with using a digital projector to make prints or
negatives.  I really like the idea of mixing digital and analog media.

> 2. On a perhaps more viable front, while I'm unlikely to go back to 35mm
> film, I have a very nifty medium format camera (nifty in that it is a
> Chinese brand version of a Hasselblad - but much, much cheaper) which I
> might start using again, I assume we'll probably be able to handle film in a
> variety of formats?

Most enlargers I've seen can handle film of sizes at least up to 4x5.
I don't know the details of the one that was donated in the set, but
from the sound of it, it's a decent set with a variety of lenses.  I
doubt that it's so small that it would only take 35mm.  If that
happens to be the case though, we can use my enlarger instead (which I
was planning to donate until the complete set came along).  It
definitely takes larger film sizes.