[Noisebridge-discuss] Milk and cookies event suggestion

Rubin Abdi rubin at starset.net
Mon Oct 6 06:39:50 UTC 2008

Thanks for suggesting this David. Ardent Heavy Industries did
something similar to this, except we called it a show in tell. Same
idea, someone's house, no money involved as we just turned it into a
sort of potluck.

Anyhow I'd highly recommend this happen because...
- Attaching a project/hobby to a face/email is easier then attaching a
name to a face.
- You get to learn about the range of things people around you are into.
- You get to show off.
- You get inspired to do new things.

Think of it sort of like dorkbot, but more down to a ground level,
less OMGWTFBBQ big names.

I would be highly interested in helping out with this once the space
has a little be more functionality to it.

On Oct 4, 2008, at 1:13 AM, David Molnar wrote:

> hey,
>
> First off, a big thank you to the build out team for all their work!
>
> Once the dust settles from the build out, I'd like to host a "Milk
> and Cookies" event in the space. The idea is pretty simple: everyone
> brings something to read out loud for 5 to 7 minutes. Bring whatever
> you want - an essay, a short story, a novel excerpt, a technical
> paper, the bash.org quotes book, a circuit schematic, a beautiful
> theorem and its proof, just bring something that speaks to you. Then
> tell it to us.
>
> We drink milk, eat cookies, and learn a bit more about each other by
> listening to our readings. I've been part of a group in the past
> that does this, it is a lot of fun. We can add beer or other
> refreshments, too.
>
> The way I am thinking, we meet in the space, but participants chip
> in $5 or less to cover the cost of refreshments. (We can work that
> out.)
>
> If you are interested, please add your name to the wiki here:
> https://www.noisebridge.net/index.php/Milk_and_Cookies.
>
> We will figure out the date and time after the build out is done.
>
> -David Molnar

Rubin Abdi
Rubin at Starset.net