[Noisebridge-discuss] CRT disposal is free in the state of California

Alex Perez aperez at alexperez.com
Fri Oct 17 20:59:15 UTC 2008

A couple of years ago, under State Bill 50 (see http://store.earthlcd.com/POLICIES-California-Recycling-Fee
  ) the State of California switched from a recycler-paid model to a
consumer-paid model for CRT and LCD recycling. Once again, I want to
explicitly clear up the reality that it costs $0 to recycle a CRT of
any sort (TV, etc) in the state of california. All in-state buyers now
pay a small fee up-front at purchase time, which finances those of us
who bring LCDs and CRTs in to be recycled.

Furthermore, LCDs are not more environmentally friendly than CRTs.
Plenty of very intelligent and progressive folks seem to operate under
this severely mistaken assumption, and the vast majority of LCDs to
date do contain mercury, the bioaccumulation of which is a serious
potential problem.