[Noisebridge-discuss] maybe something else we don't want in the space

Jonathan Lassoff jof at thejof.com
Fri Oct 17 23:45:06 UTC 2008

On the 10/100 networking device front, it seems to me that these are small and easy enough to get rid of that they might become useful for some project in the future.
If someone would like to test something out, I'd much rather they have a switch or two to play with rather than having to plug into the "production" switch.

Personally, I would say no to 10 or 100 Mbit/s hubs, but ok to non-crappy 100 Mbit/s switches.

It's not like we're crunched for shelf space at the moment as far as I know. Since none of these donations should have any strings attached, could we not just do a crap-sweep in the future?

As for the network for actual everyday use and abuse, I believe that we should have the best equipment and connectivity possible. If we can get the best there is and use it for something awesome, I would throw myself completely behind that.

I've certainly heard some concern on the lists here as well as on IRC over having "stable" Internet connectivity. I've done some work on the existing network at Noisebridge, and for what it's worth I intend to continue to try and improve the connectivity at 83C. Both in terms of "cool" features (e.g. routed public IPs, IPv6, multicast) as well as reliability.

It's my belief that you should be able to just show up and expect things to work - i.e. DHCP over 802.11x as well as wired Ethernet.
However, if you want to try out some neat trick (tunneling all traffic through Tor, tunneling to other countries, crazy strong crypto, etc.), I think that access to a seperate but equally-equipped network should exist for those users as well.

Cheers,
jonathan