[Noisebridge-discuss] Soldering Workshop

Alex Perez aperez at alexperez.com
Mon Oct 27 23:09:09 UTC 2008

On Oct 27, 2008, at 3:51 PM, Mark Cohen wrote:

> I'm planning on spending a lot more time in the space and always happy
> to teach people how to solder. If you are interested, feel free to
> either drop me a line or hit me up when I'm there to show you how to
> do
> it.
>
> Often I've found that if you have an old board with thruhole parts,
> desoldering and removing parts is a really good way of teaching
> yourself
> to solder and as a bonus, you can often salvage parts that you can use
> in other projects.

Very true, Mark! In addition, often times with lower-pin-count DIP or
SOIC/TSSOP (even others) surface mount components, you can often times
"harvest" them with a heat gun (I have one if anyone would like a
tutorial) and put them to creative re-use in other projects. Often,
this can save you boatloads of money. I have some old VME boards which
are about 1.5' by 1.5' and they are a goldmine for reusable basic
logic components, as well as some soldered-on ceramic Motorola 68030
CPUs. and DRAM chips. I think I paid $15 for six of these boards, and
had I bought them as new (or even as salvaged items) I'd have easily
paid a couple hundred dollars for the same bits.

The take home here, of course, being that this can be a BIG money-
saver, if you know what yo look for or are willing to learn.