[Noisebridge-discuss] open frameworks?

Rachel McConnell rachel at xtreme.com
Mon Sep 22 02:30:32 UTC 2008

I just looked at the video on the home page, it looks somewhat similar
to Processing (http://processing.org/), which I just learned about last
week at the workshop Scott led.  Looks like Open Frameworks may have a
bit more stuff built into it... perhaps it's the C++ answer to Processing!

I didn't see anything on the Open Frameworks site about Javascript - did
you perhaps mean to compare C++ and Java?  They are reasonably
comparable in power; the major difference I would cite is that in Java,
you don't have to manage memory like you do in C++.

For the differences between C++ and Javascript, well there's a lot...
C++ is a much lower-level language, the coder has to deal with a lot of
detail that you don't have to in Javascript.  C++ is a compiled
language, meaning your code has to be run through a compiler before the
computer can execute it.  Javascript is an interpreted language, which
means the computer reads your code one line at a time and executes it
(it's still compiled but not all at once).  For this reason C++ code
usually runs quite a bit faster than Javascript code.  C++ is used
generally for bigger more complicated things; many applications like
Firefox are written in it, as are much of the Unix-style command line
programs.  Javascript is still used mostly within web browsers to make
dynamic web pages, although it is possible to do more complex things
with it as well.

Rachel

PS. this is a great place to post questions!