[Noisebridge-discuss] Possible Cell Phone Scheme Funding

Mountain Sky mountainoceansky at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 9 06:15:03 UTC 2009

Hi gang,
I met former Colorado Senator Tim Wirth yesterday at the Conference on World Affairs in Boulder. He is the president of the United Nations Foundation and Better World Fund, organizations founded in large part through financial commitments from Ted Turner. Hearing about some of the work that these NGOs have funded, I'm more apt to think kindly on Turner's capitalistic intentions and wonder at one man's desire to pay off our national debt.
Mr. Wirth mentioned in passing something that had crossed his desk last week, about non-profit projects to bring cell phones into developing countries, about which I was particularly excited. I didn't speak specifically of anything you cool cats were plotting and planning with cell phone networks and suchlike, though I did mention I had friends who were interested in precisely what he was also enervated about. I think I scored some cred when I spoke of my (unrelated) work as a Peace Corps Volunteer, and he slipped me his business card. He's probably primed to receive communications about that topic if anyone wants to contact him:
Timothy E. Wirth
United Nations Foundation President
twirth at unfoundation.org
1800 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Suite 400Washington, DC 20036T 202.887.9040 | F 202.887.9021www.unfoundation.org
He might be a very helpful person to hit up for funding for any of your philanthropic projects along these lines. I'd be interested to hear back if anyone initiates a dialog.
Also, I would be more than happy to assist in any way I can-- writing grant proposals, coordinating supporters, schmoozing with panelists ;)
Hearts and Stars,Molly
P.S. Of particular interest: the One Cell Phone Per Child project. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2344283,00.aspareerbuilder.com/
P.P.S.I brought up a chemical hacking discussion that would have made Quinn proud, at the Cyborgs: Aliens Among Us panel with Michael Chorost, Andy Ihnatko, Seth Shostak, and Michelle Thaller. Know any of those raging borgophiles?