[Noisebridge-discuss] Know C? I have a project for you this weekend

Asheesh Laroia noisebridge at asheesh.org
Fri Apr 17 22:08:28 UTC 2009

Dear Noisebridge-discuss,

I'm the user and Debian maintainer of alpine, a command-line mail and news
reader that has a long history. (It descends directly from the famous
University of Washington PINE mail and usenet reader.)

Maildir is one of the two most popualar methods of storing mail on *NIX
systems. The alpine developers have not been interested in adding Maildir
support. There is a good Maildir patch for alpine, but its author has not
agreed to share it under an open source license.

Debian users who use alpine have been clamoring for a version of alpine
that is (a) still open source, and (b) supports Maildir. Alas, I know of
no decent patch that satisfies these two properties at once.

WHAT TO DO?

So the obvious thing to do is re-write that patch myself. I would just do
that, except copyright law generally suggests that if I have read the code
and then write something intended to be identical in functionality, I am
probably violating the copyright on the non-open-source patch.

YOU CAN HELP!

If I read the non-open-source patch and write documentation, and you take
that documentation and write a patch and *do* release it as open source,
then we can have an open source Maildir patch.

JOIN ME!

Reply and we'll get the ball rolling. If you're decent at C, I think that
in one solid afternoon (noon to six, say), we can have this entirely done.

You will earn fame, joy, and my ever-lasting admiration. Also I can throw
in some alcohol or pizza if it helps. (-:

Yours truly,

-- Asheesh.

--
Sometimes I wonder if I'm in my right mind.  Then it passes off and I'm
as intelligent as ever.