[Noisebridge-discuss] Science, Engineering and Design Huddle this evening at 8 PM, High performance renewable energy hand Charged flashlights

Michael Kan Kan michaelkan_kan at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 23 17:08:21 UTC 2009

To all,

 Please reply to the list only, do not send e-mail to me directly as
I do check the archived message base in the NB site frequently.
 Seldom check my personal e-mail inbox.

 Here is a thing of utility, Designed right these could become part of
your daily life.

 Most of the hand recharge LED flashlights on the market are noisy when
being recharged and there are several models have a strong exposed magnetic
field that could wipe out credit/ debit and transit cards that use a
magnetic stripe if they next to each other.

 The one that you will build at NB will be quiet and can be safe to
mag stripe cards.

 This evening we will start a series on building an efficiant renewable
energy flashlight starting with stepper motors from printers and scanners.

 There are different kinds of motors used in these and we will take a
look at each of them to learn the merrits and problem with each.

 Then the motor will be optimized for use as a hand cranked generator
to charge the battery or super capacitor in the LED flashlights.

 Details will be also paid to the design of the case.

 There are some motors that were pulled from printers and scanners as
well as some LI ion battries at Noisebridge.

 Bring your dead battery powered LED flashlight as a LED doner for your
new renewable energy flashlight.

 See you this evening at Noisebridge.

 Mike Kan