[Noisebridge-discuss] Meeting notes for NB General meeting 2009.04.21

John Magolske listmail at b79.net
Mon Apr 27 01:25:52 UTC 2009

Here are the meeting notes for the Noisebridge general meeting last
week, 2009.04.21. Also see the wiki entry for the agenda here:
https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Meeting_Notes_2009_04_21

====

Jeffery leads the meeting

* What is Noisebridge? We do cool stuff & try to be excellent
  to each other.

* Introductions

* Treasurer's report: Pay yer dues if you haven't. Thanks.

----

* Weekly going-ons:

Mike Kan -- Thursday night Engineering/Design Huddle -- explorations &
collaborations with a focus on creating useful things that can become
a part of everyday living. Come find out how to make a stepper motor
powered LED super-capacitor flashlight!

--

Sense Extension/Sensbridge/Cyborgism Group -- building things that
extend your senses such as:

* An anklet that vibrates north
* A vest that vibrates when someone approaches behind you

...come check it out if you'd like to make something or learn!

--

open eeg -- It's still happening. Check the wiki. Ping the list.

--

DC3 Digital forensics challenge -- people are interested in this.
Are you? If so, ping the list.

--

There was talk of system of being tracked by rfid tags...

----

Consensus item:

* give Mitch and Stella (~$500 worth) purchasing power to buy stickers
  and  promotional materials -- this passed consensus.

----

Membership binder -- lots of new people signed up in the past 3 weeks
Yay!

Two people up for membership (one not here) Ryan was admitted as a
member. People were happy about that.

There appears to be many folks queued up for membership eligibility
in the coming month or so. Take a gander at the membership binder and
attend the meetings if you'd like to see what sort of excellence might
be headed our way.

----

There was discussion around the idea of members being able to join
anonymously. The proposal for a "John Waters" to join anonymously
was blocked.

Reason given for blocking: "to prevent the potential exploitation of
anonymous membership." There was concern that people could pretend
to act as a proxy for that member to block consensus items. There was
also the issue of how members are supposed to say "yes, I'm fine with
this person becoming a member of Noisebridge" if they don't know who
that person is.

A distinction was made between pseudonymous (we know who they are) vs.
Anonymous (don't know who they are). People seemed to be relatively
comfortable with pseudonymous membership, not so much with anonymous
membership.

It was suggested that those interested in pursuing the concept of
anonymous membership should form a discussion group & present their
proposal at a future general meeting for discussion & consensus.

----

Steve C brought in a new table, which now graces our kitchen space. It
was/is admired by many. Steve plans to bring in another of the same,
and is wondering where it would fit best. Would we like to fit them
side by side in a manner that would replace the existing long table?
Should the second one have it's legs cut down so we could use it as
a coffee table upstairs? If you're interested, attend the build team
meeting.

----

Delicious library for cataloging (& stickering) books -- software for
this is being donated. Are we ok with using this proprietary solution?
It does has export capabilities. Some people don't care for using a
proprietary system, and will not let interacting with this system be a
gating factor in their use of the library (ie, donating books etc.)

----

There was more mention of merit badges ... merit badges idea coming out
of hiatus ... talk to Shannon

----

Membership team

People met to come up with a fair & reasonable expulsion process.

It is documented on the wiki:
https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Removing_Membership

Questions? Talk to Rachel (point person)

----

Privacy policy -- there was discussion of updating our privacy policy.

Use the EFF's privacy policy as a model?

A member inadvertently had their full name posted on the wiki & wished
this hadn't happened. Having Google de-index the relevant wiki page
was presented as a possible partial solution.

It was noted that Members who have privacy needs should be proactive
about making their needs known. Also, we should be mindful that not
everyone wants their full name posted publicly via the wiki or mailing
list.

What is an appropriate policy going forward? Perhaps a "Policy Privacy
Subgroup" should be formed?

----

That is it for tonight's meeting, stay tuned for next weeks meeting.
It will be run by Nils.

Thanks for running this one Jeffery! [applause]

====

--
John Magolske
http://B79.net/contact