[Noisebridge-discuss] warehouse space/ noisebridge east?

Rubin Abdi rubin at starset.net
Tue Apr 7 08:32:50 UTC 2009

Wrote this all out last night but I guess I must have forgotten to hit send.

On 2009/04/05 23:45, meredith scheff wrote:
> I just went and looked at this pretty awesome space in west oakland
> (don't make faces) at 15th and willow.

All of the following comments are related to the first sentence for
Meredith's email. In all honesty I could care less on if the space was a
recently remodeled castle being sold for $1.

My ex fiance used to live on 13th and Campbell, or in that general area.
Her car was broken into numerous times and her home (front door) caught
stray bullets from two separate drive by shootings, not to mention
getting burgluri

The old NIMBY was located at 28th and Mandela. The majority of folks who
had a space there will tell you stories about muggings happening at the
Bart station or walk up from there. Ian Baker has a good story about
getting jumped while riding his bike to Bart. Snook, the fellow who runs
NIMBY would insist that people be picked up from Bart, or given a ride
to. He would actually not let you leave the building if he new you were
planning to walk the dozen blocks to Bart.

There is extremely little food in the area within walking distance, to
go to a grocery store you'll most likely want to bike or drive. The only
plus is the Home Depot that's in Emeryville. The only foot traffic in
the area is of local residents to that neighborhood.

West Oakland is a great spot if you want a cheap space to build some big
industrious art with a hand full of your close friends. I don't see it
as a viable option for Noisebridge to move or expand to. There's just
too much crime in the area to make it an attractive place to walk or
bike to.

--
Rubin Abdi
Rubin at Starset.net