[Noisebridge-discuss] warehouse space/ noisebridge east?

Christie Dudley longobord at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 20:32:20 UTC 2009

I think it also really depends on how you define "crime".  I don't tend to
lump those pathetic junkies who roll around out of their minds in the alley
as 'criminals' no matter how pathetic they may be.  There's a lot of money
to be had from begging in that area, so actual crimes against people is
pretty low.

If you are willing to discount the "crimes against oneself", it's hard to
consider the area around 83c as a concern at all.  Of course it's not nicely
sanitized like more "upscale" areas are, but the sanitization also restrict
opportunities for creativity and self-expression.  I'd rather have the
needles and the crack-heads than a "nice" neighborhood.  Of course, this is
probably why I choose to live in the city.

We're actually in a nicer part of the mission.  I had gang territories
mapped out for me when I first started looking for a place in the area.
There are places further out where you actually can hear the gunshots.
Places that actually are dangerous, not just frightening to the squeamish.

Christie

On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 1:23 PM, Quinn Norton <quinn at quinnnorton.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 7 Apr 2009 nils at shkoo.com wrote:
>
> > I agree.
> >
> > I think the quantity of weird people in the mission at all hours of the
> > day and night is a positive point in terms of personal safety.  For the
> > really unsafe areas, even the weird people know to stay away.
> >
> > -nils
> >

> fwiw, i've lived about a block from 83c for 2 years and have never had a
> problem. high crime areas can be ok when there's protective crowds around,
> and there always is at 16th and mission.

> > > I have a simple question to ask the group then, when was the last time
> > > member was mugged at gun point while passing through the Mission in an
> > > attempt to get to/from Noisebridge?
> > >
> > > Many people have this misconception of "getting hassled by weird
> people"
> > > means that a neighborhood becomes unsafe.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Rubin Abdi
> > > Rubin at Starset.net
> >

> Freelance Journalist & Photographer
>
>  quinnnorton.com || +1 408 813 8064 || aim, skype, msn: ambiguousquinn

I refuse to give up childish things.