[Noisebridge-discuss] Science, engineering and design huddle opening subject

d p chang pchang at macrovision.com
Tue Apr 7 21:28:36 UTC 2009

Michael Kan Kan <michaelkan_kan at yahoo.com> writes:

>  I do not do stuff with legaly questionable things or activity.

my understanding is that it would be illegal if i upped the output
wattage past a certain level. the circuit won't be able to transmit past
about 10feet.

anyway, i'm mostly experimenting to get a feel for the vco/pll/etc
combination.

> Also the parts in question are likely to be both small, hard to get
> and quite expensive. Likely that they are easily burnt out due to
> careless installation or circuit design.

yeah. the vco wasn't cheap (~20usd), but other than the amp/pll (~3usd
each) it is mostly a pile of passives.

> Noisebridge does not have that equipment.

oddly, work had a spectrum analyzer sitting around which no one knew the
origin of. i've got it setup at home under the proviso that if someone
actually looks for it someone knows where to find it. other than that, i've
been working w/ a soldering iron and multimeter (neither is particularly
fancy).

> An antenna is vastly simpler to build and there may be a design that
> fits around the phone so as not to require any change to the phone
> itself.

i was a little vague in my description, but there isn't an actual phone
involved. i'm just playing w/ rf stuff to see how this stuff works in
reality (i've come to appreciate that the 'free' phone has a whole lot
of stuff in it to make it go :-)

\p
---
The truth is more important than the facts. --- Frank Lloyd Wright