[Noisebridge-discuss] Meeting Optimization

Jacob Appelbaum jacob at appelbaum.net
Wed Apr 8 21:14:32 UTC 2009

Shannon Lee wrote:
> I don't think it's easy to separate "announcements" from "things we need to
> discuss".  Often we don't know we need to discuss something until it's been
> announced.  That said, we've done some of the optimization described here,
> with projects and events sections at the top of the agenda...

I'm thinking stuff like the weekly happenings? Those seem like obvious
announcements, perhaps even worth leaving out because we mostly know
about them?

> I agree that each item on the agenda needs to have a responsible party, who
> leads discussion on the item.  I think "has the option of skipping" is too
> weak -- I think it's the expected outcome:  if an item has no owner, it
> should be skipped.

I think we've basically been skipping by default. It's working well.

> I agree that items can be presented by proxy, but the person presenting the
> item by proxy shouldn't be allowed to cop out with "this isn't really my
> thing" when pressed; if you're not comfortable actually representing the
> item, you shouldn't agree to do it.  This is a hard position to be in.

That's a good point.

> The person running the meeting can't also own items.  The person running the
> meeting is in charge of moving the meeting along; the person who owns an
> item is responsible for getting the item resolved; the tension between these
> two imperatives (plus the added imperative of the secretary, who is striving
> for clarity) is where consensus happens in a timely fashion :)

Seriously.

> This is what I see as having gone wrong with the last two meetings.  I think
> Jake agreed to "represent the concerns" of people whose concerns he didn't
> necessarily share, and at the same time he was trying to own these items
> while leading the meeting.  This put him in a hopeless position as far as
> moving the meeting along.

It's also hopeless in many other ways.

> I will cop to having been at least half of that particular problem, but part
> of the job of the person running the meeting is to tell problem people to
> shut up, and it wasn't possible for Jake to do that in good conscience when
> he was the person who owned the item that I wouldn't shut up about.

It's true. That created a particular tension but it was resolved for the
most part by discussing it off-line.

> Rather than having a set time for each item that we strive for, why don't we
> encourage people to postpone items that are not immediately important?
> Maybe it should be the task of the meeting leader to manage the agenda in
> the week leading up to the meeting by talking to people who own items (which
> can be determined by looking at wiki logs?) and make sure that things go as
> quickly as possible.

I think the idea was a maximum time? It seems like your suggestion is
how we normally roll, the addition is to make sure we don't just keep on
rolling forever...

> I agree that more people need to step up and take on tasks like this.  I
> volunteered, at Jake's urging, to take on running next week's meeting.  I
> encourage others who feel capable to do the same.

For the love of no dogs, thank you Shannon!

Best,
Jake