[Noisebridge-discuss] Meeting Optimization

Ka-Ping Yee noisebridge at zesty.ca
Fri Apr 10 03:57:00 UTC 2009

On Thu, 9 Apr 2009, Shannon Lee wrote:
> Ping's suggestion below about raising fingers is a lot like the
> fist-to-five scheme I've seen work other places

Not quite... the fist-to-five scheme you're describing is a way of
expressing one's level of consensus.  The hand signals I described
(comment/question/point) serve a different purpose, which is to
determine an efficient speaking order.  Both are potentially useful.

In any case, I heartily applaud your efforts to come up with tools
and processes, give them a serious try, educate, iterate, etc.
Thank you for that.  It's worthwhile to try a few different things
and learn what works well for this group, and that will take some
patience, but it's a healthy process.  Consensus decision-making
is a learned skill, and people learn best by doing.

-- ?!ng