[Noisebridge-discuss] a little bit of info on the excel program, and an idea to move forward

Michael Shiloh michaelshiloh1010 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 19:23:51 UTC 2009

Aha! I have just heard back from one of my friends who does in fact use
ExCEL at her school, and she is going to put me in touch with the ExCEL
coordinator at her school. I will hopefully talk to her later today.

She does say, though, "EXCL is notoriously underfunded, underorganized,
etc.". But we should determine for ourselves. The proposal process
should tell us a lot.

Comments in line below. A big question I have to all of you:

If this is a program that kids volunteer to be part of, I'm interested
in reaching those kids who don't give it a second thought.

How do we reach them? My fantasy: we come do a demonstration or a show
or something where everyone is included. Then we ask the kids "Who is
interested in learning how to do this?". Everyone who raises their hand
is sent out (or perhaps sent off with our first teacher). With everyone
left we have a discussion, basically trying to figure out what kind of
things turn them on, what would they like to learn how to make, or
build, or create, or whatever.

Perhaps video editing? or sound or audio recording? perhaps electronic
music? perhaps basic carpentry or model rockets or just smashing
computer monitors?

One of the problems is that in high school it is cool to appear bored by
life and disinterested in everything. How do we get around this?

Mitch Altman wrote:
>   Thanks for the first contact, Michael!
>

> I like your general outline of 6 weeks.  10 kids per class is nice, but
> maybe we'll have a better chance of acceptance if we teach more?
> (That's a question.)

Good question, and one which I asked my teacher friend just now. Will
let you know.

I'd be most up for high school aged kids, myself,
> since we can go more into things.  And if these classes are for people
> who volunteer themselves to be a part of, then I think we'll get some
> really interesting kids.  If we have a 6-week curriculum then we could
> do it twice per semester, if we like, plus once in the summer.

Yes, I like this way of thinking.

> We could have 1 teacher per week (or a set of teachers), with that 1
> teacher (or set of teachers) teaching 1 topic.  I don't think the topics
> need to be closely knitted together, but just fit under a general
> umbrella, such as "making cool things".  What do others think?  We
> should pick the number of days/times that each teacher (or set) will
> teach -- I think we need to have this consistent for all 6 weeks.

Agree to all.

> I'd like to teach kids how to make cool things with microcontrollers.
> I'll be doing this for a week at a high school in NYC for learning
> disability kids.  The administration put out the word to the whole
> school that this class was available, thinking that 20 to 30 kids would
> sign up for it -- but 118 did, which is half the school. (!)  In this
> case, I'm teaching 6 individual 3-hour classes, where each kid goes to
> one of the 6 classes, and everyone builds one of the 5 projects that I
> offered (TV-B-Gone kit, Mignonette Game kit, Brain Machine kit, Trippy
> RGB Waves kit, MiniPOV3 kit).  The school is buying all of the tools so
> that they will be able to teach this class without me in the future.
> I'll see how this goes at the NYC high school.  Much of what I do there
> will be directly applicable for teaching for the ExCEL program.  Any
> comments/thoughts?

Excellent. Look forward to your reports.