[Noisebridge-discuss] ML Wednesday: 7PM real time tonight!

Praveen Sinha dmhomee at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 22:39:07 UTC 2009

And unfortunately, with some work and other things coming up today, I don't
know if I will be able to make it in time for anything reasonable for this
quick one hour session :( :(  I will be there on time and starting the full
set for the next week.

However!  I have gotten a couple of items for self study this week for all
you ML'ers, so it should still be a good session, and anyone with a laptop
can take the lead.

Self Study 1)  Talk about types of data that you find interesting and want
to be working on, either by yourself or in a group for the rest of the
spring/summer, and take notes for me to build into the next couple of
sessions.

Self Study 2)  Support Vector Machines are essentially moveable quadratic
optimizers.  In order to make more accesible some of the theory intensive
stuff we'll have to start off with, please check this page and go through
the animations project on the wall/as a group if possible:

http://www.sce.carleton.ca/faculty/chinneck/po.html
     ^^ gentle introduction to optimization

This will give people who haven't been drenched in math a good solid
foundation not just for machine learning, but talking about all sorts of
problems.  I'll be going over some of this stuff as well as quadratic
programming and kernel tricks next wednesday.

Cheers!
Praveen