[Noisebridge-discuss] OT: battlestar wanted

Mikael Vejdemo-Johansson mik at stanford.edu
Sun Apr 19 07:17:13 UTC 2009

On Apr 19, 2009, at 6:50 AM, Quinn Norton wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Apr 2009, Mikael Vejdemo-Johansson wrote:
>> And regardless of outcome there - several of my juristically inclined
>> friends tend to describe Hovrätten as a source of incomprehensible
>> randomness at times - it will get appealed to Högsta Domstolen, which
>> should end up hearing the case, since there is a lack of precedent
>> and
>> a high level of disagreement as to what the code of law actually
>> says.
>
> there's Norwegian precedent that uses a contributory argument in
> copyright violation- precedent is still important, and swedish
> courts can
> cite any Scandinavian precedent.

I wasn't aware that any Scandinavian precedent is admissible in
Swedish courts! Funky!

>> It's worth pointing out at this point that Swedish law is codified as
>> opposed to precedent based - the mission of the courts is to
>> interpret
>> existing law texts and find basis for judgement in those. When doing
>> this, they are certainly expected to take existing precedents into
>> account in shaping their decisions; but as opposed to, say, US and UK
>> law, the rulings do not acquire full force of law.
>
> non-commonwealth stylee. you people are weird. :)

Yes! Yes we are!

>> The central issue HERE really is how to interpret the actions of the
>> Pirate Bay crowd with respect to the letter of Swedish copyright law;
>> and this is essentially what the courts have to decide on...
>
> yeah, but the thing is, the political pressure to convict is
> enormous. not
> only the us, but the eu is pretty much demanding it. and Sweden has to
> eventually make it illegal to comply with eu directive.

And THIS is why I'm going to vote Pirate Party for the European
Parliament, even though one of my personal friends is running for the
Feminist Party.

Also, more and more ISPs are joining the "Well, we'll just not save
any data"-model, 1000 persons showed up for the protest rally after
the Pirate Bay judgement, and the Pirate Party now has more members
than the Liberal Party.

Mikael Vejdemo-Johansson, Dr.rer.nat
Postdoctoral researcher
mik at math.stanford.edu