[Noisebridge-discuss] OT: battlestar wanted

meredith scheff satiredun at gmail.com
Sun Apr 19 18:44:00 UTC 2009

for some reason, all the battlestar torrents are ridiculousley slow. Took a
week to get two episodes (and yes, i checked my connection)

On Sun, Apr 19, 2009 at 9:41 AM, Mikael Vejdemo-Johansson
<mik at stanford.edu>wrote:

> On Apr 19, 2009, at 5:59 PM, d p chang wrote:
>
>> Mikael Vejdemo-Johansson <mik at stanford.edu> writes:
>>
>>> the Pirate Party now has more members than the Liberal Party.
>>>

>> i realize that sweden has more parties than we have here in the us, but
>> are these two more 'outlier' parties? at least when i lived in france i
>> lost track of the various parties and their (to me) similar views
>> (harkening to the 'splitter' bit from _life of brian_).
>>

> Apologies, I should have been more clear about the context:
>
> The Pirate Party - founded a few years ago, shooting star among the outlier
> parties. Surprises everyone in its growth and success, but still isn't large
> enough to win parliamentary posts (not that this is uncommon - several other
> parties hanker on around the single percentage point....)
>
> The Feminist Party - Fi - was founded a few years before the PP, by one of
> the really old foxes in Swedish politics. It still hasn't gotten enough
> votes to gain any positions, but it seems to almost be a real power in
> Swedish politics (for some value of...). PP made headlines when they beat Fi
> in the recent parliamentary elections.
>
> The Liberal Party - Folkpartiet - used to be a paragon of social liberalism
> in Sweden, and now is giving in to some populist urges. They've been
> wavering between 6% and 20% for the last few decades, and tend to be solid
> members of the righter wing of the Swedish parliament - - the Bourgeouisie
> wing... They used to, once, in cooperation with the Social Democrats, sit in
> government - and for long stretches of time we used to have a liberal Prime
> Minister. These are the real thing.
>
> Another party I recently saw that PP exceeds the membership numbers for is
> the Christian Democrats - Kristdemokraterna (kd). Also a real party in
> Swedish politics, with about the same span as the Liberal Party in results
> (though lately they're dipping below the 4% limit....), kd stands for a
> christian conservatism rightish wing politics.
>
> Do note, please, also, that even the frothing-at-the-mouth-right-wing
> people in Sweden would fit better in the lefter wings of the Democratic
> party in the US than anywhere else...
>

> Mikael Vejdemo-Johansson, Dr.rer.nat
> Postdoctoral researcher
> mik at math.stanford.edu

doing stuff and making things
---
"A traveler. I love his title. A traveler is to be reverenced as such. His
profession is the best symbol of our life. Going from - toward; it is the
history of every one of us. It is a great art to saunter." -Henry David
Thoreau