[Noisebridge-discuss] Re: IMAP replication

Asheesh Laroia noisebridge at asheesh.org
Wed Apr 22 04:30:33 UTC 2009

On Sun, 19 Apr 2009, Chris Coleman wrote:

> Asheesh, Tv, Timo,
>
> I looked around for this feature, and found it, a while back.
>
> What you don't know is that cyrus-imapd already has implemented this exact
> IMAP replication feature. The author(s), David Carter and Ken Murchison,
> cited exactly the reasons you do (high availability, multi-master, proper
> backup of the IMAP mailboxes from live running servers, disaster recovery,
> and local server acceleration).
>
> Here is the link....
> http://www-uxsup.csx.cam.ac.uk/~dpc22/cyrus/replication.html

Yes, that's right! Charlie (Hsu) and I found this a few weeks back, and
lately we've been struggling to set it up. We have Cyrus running, and the
two servers authenticating to each other, but for some reason when we run
the sync command they just don't sync.

We're going to continue to look into this. When we have it all working I
intend to publish an easy-to-read guide (and also probably deploy it).

Our efforts so far are mostly documented at
http://www.asheesh.org/scratch/Replicated_IMAP .

Further help is always appreciated. If you want to pick up where we left
off, this may help you a little.

-- Asheesh.

--
You will be a winner today.  Pick a fight with a four-year-old.