[Noisebridge-discuss] Help with Eagle CAD

Jeremy Fitzhardinge jeremy at goop.org
Wed Apr 22 19:17:20 UTC 2009

Dr. Jesus wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 11:36:11AM -0700, Jonathan Foote wrote:
>
>> I've considered fabbing my own, but WHAT DO YOU DO WITH THE USED
>> ETCHANT? Pouring toxic metal salts down the drain is ecologically
>> inconsiderate and likely illegal. The price of copper being what it
>> is, I'm sure the fab houses have some kind of electrolytic recovery,
>> but that's more than I feel like dealing with in the sink. I'll stick
>> to the fab houses, who also do a great job drilling all those teeny
>> holes in the right place.
>>

> Whenever I ask this, I get vague handwaving about neutralizing the
> etchant "and then Bob calls someone to come and pick it up."
>
> When I find Bob's number, I'll let you know.

http://www.colehardware.com/hotline/2000/07/hazwaste.htm :

    *Disposal within San Francisco*

        Curbside pickup of oil, oil filters, anti-freeze, batteries and
    latex paint is available in most areas of San Francisco. Call
    800/449-7587 for information about how to schedule an appointment.

        If you are a San Francisco resident, you can properly dispose of
    your household hazardous waste at the Household Hazardous Waste
    Collection Facility at 501 Tunnel Avenue near Candlestick point. The
    hours of operation are Thursday, Friday, and Saturday only, from
    8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., except on certain holidays. Call the
    Hazardous Waste Hotline at 415/554-4333 for specific questions about
    using the facility.

        The facility accepts painting supplies, antifreeze,
    photo-chemicals, aerosols, fertilizers, cleaners, car batteries,
    motor oil, medical waste, asbestos, solvents, poisons and resins.

        The facility _DOES NOT ACCEPT_ radioactive materials,
    explosives, materials that are reactive with water (e.g., calcium
    carbide) or pressurized gas cylinders over 20 lbs.

Sounds like they'd accept ferric-chloride and other used etchants.